New Stuff 2016

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is NOT specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

New Stuff 2016

Postby kev on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:37 pm
IP:

As we start to head downhill to the end of 2015, here's the first release of 2016 that has my mouth watering!! A 3rd album from The Cactus Blossoms!

Red House Records says, "We're excited to announce the Red House debut You're Dreaming, from The Cactus Blossom on January 22nd! The record captures brothers Jack Torrey and Page Burkum incredible, seamless vocals, with a sound that combines early rock 'n' roll with classic country that's timeless and contemporary with thoughtful lyrics and soaring harmonies.

You're Dreaming (produced by JD McPherson) features danceable songs like "Stoplight Kisses" and "Clown Collector" as well as showcases their penchant for heartfelt ballads with "Queen of Them All" and "If I Can't Win."
kev
Ultimate Member

Re: New Stuff 2016

Postby livewirer on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 am
IP:

Country music icon Hank Williams Jr. announced that his new album (37th album in his five-decade career). IT’S ABOUT TIME, will be released January 15, 2016 on Nash Icon Records. On November 4, the Superstar will world premiere his lead single, “Are You Ready for the Country” featuring Eric Church, across Cumulus stations nationwide. That evening, the pair will open the 49th Annual CMA Awards with the new collaboration - PRESS RELEASE
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby livewirer on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:35 am
IP:

"Wynonna & the Big Noise" on the Way in February
For the first time in her career, Wynonna is recording with a band. Her new record Wynonna & the Big Noise, featuring her husband and former Highway 101 member Cactus Moser, comes out February 12. The lead singer of legendary country duo the Judds also shares the spotlight with other vocalists like the Eagles’ Timothy B. Schmit and Jason Isbell on the album’s dozen tracks.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:38 pm
IP:

New Vince Gill album due next year. Article from Saving Country Music:

Vince Gill Announces New Album “Down To My Last Bad Habit”

The long wait for a new Vince Gill solo record is about to be over. Announced Thursday morning (11-19), Vince Gill will release his twentieth official album over his 30-plus year career, and last solo album since 2011. Down To My Last Bad Habit will arrive in stores on on February 12th, and ahead of the new record, Vince has released a new single called “Take Me Down” (listen below).

Vince Gill is a Country Music Hall of Famer, owner of 20 Grammy Awards, 18 CMA’s including 2 Entertainer of the Year distinctions, and has sold more than 26 million albums. Gill has also charted over 40 singles, but recently has taken some time off from the grind to re-connect with his roots, including regularly playing with the Nashville-based supergroup The Time Jumpers, and releasing the album Bakersfield with steel guitar player Paul Franklin. The hiatus has seen Gill smoothly transition from a big-time commercial artists to a well-respected legend in the business, and one of country music’s most active and well-respected elder statesman.

But Gill hasn’t been sitting on his laurels. His name regularly pops up as a contributing songwriter, singer, guitar player, and producer, and his fundraising work with the Country Music Hall of Fame is unmatched.

Down To My Last Bad Habit was produced by Vince Gill at his home studio, with help from respected engineer Justin Niebank. It includes twelve tracks, collaborations with Little Big Town and Cam, and ends with a George Jones tribute called “A Sad One Comin’ On.” You can listen to the lead single “Take Me Down” below (Kev says "Hope the rest of the album is better than this stinker of a first single!!").

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/19/456382190 ... ke-me-down

TRACK LIST:

1. Reasons for the Tears I Cry (Vince Gill)
2. Down to My Last Bad Habit (Vince Gill, Al Anderson)
3. Me and My Girl (Vince Gill)
4. Like My Daddy Did (Vince Gill)
5. Make You Feel Real Good (Vince Gill)
6. I Can’t Do This (Vince Gill, Catt Gravitt, Brennen Hunt)
7. My Favorite Movie (Vince Gill and Ashley Monroe)
8. One More Mistake I Made (Vince Gill, Adrianne Duarte)
9. Take Me Down w/ Little Big Town (Vince Gill, Richard Marx, Jillian Jacqueline)
10. I’ll Be Waiting for You w/ Cam (Vince Gill, Leslie Satcher)
11. When It’s Love (Vince Gill, Richard Marx)
12. Sad One Comin’ On (A Song for George Jones) (Vince Gill)

kev
Ultimate Member

Postby livewirer on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:49 pm
IP:

kev wrote:But Gill hasn’t been sitting on his laurels. His name regularly pops up as a contributing songwriter, singer, guitar player, and producer, and his fundraising work with the Country Music Hall of Fame is unmatched.

Down To My Last Bad Habit was produced by Vince Gill at his home studio, with help from respected engineer Justin Niebank. It includes twelve tracks, collaborations with Little Big Town and Cam, and ends with a George Jones tribute called “A Sad One Comin’ On.” You can listen to the lead single “Take Me Down” below (Kev says "Hope the rest of the album is better than this stinker of a first single!!").

It sounds right for a first single but having said that despite the great musicianship its like listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumours or a Lindsay Buckingham album. The project will probaby be balanced and interesting co-writes with Leslie Satcher and Ashley Monroe and a collab with Cam. Looks like he is still with MCA. His last album didn't sell well and I remember his glum face sitting in the CMA audience shortly after its release. He seemed pretty fed up with country radio's lack of support for it at the time.
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm
IP:

kev wrote:As we start to head downhill to the end of 2015, here's the first release of 2016 that has my mouth watering!! A 3rd album from The Cactus Blossoms!

Red House Records says, "We're excited to announce the Red House debut You're Dreaming, from The Cactus Blossom on January 22nd! The record captures brothers Jack Torrey and Page Burkum incredible, seamless vocals, with a sound that combines early rock 'n' roll with classic country that's timeless and contemporary with thoughtful lyrics and soaring harmonies.

You're Dreaming (produced by JD McPherson) features danceable songs like "Stoplight Kisses" and "Clown Collector" as well as showcases their penchant for heartfelt ballads with "Queen of Them All" and "If I Can't Win."

First track premieres from new album (http://noisey.vice.com/blog/cactus-blossoms-premiere) . Not quite what I expected but a great guitar solo in the middle - nice!
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:53 am
IP:

kev wrote:
kev wrote:As we start to head downhill to the end of 2015, here's the first release of 2016 that has my mouth watering!! A 3rd album from The Cactus Blossoms!

First track premieres from new album (http://noisey.vice.com/blog/cactus-blossoms-premiere) . Not quite what I expected but a great guitar solo in the middle - nice!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the album too. This track sounds a bit like early Everly Brothers.
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:21 pm
IP:

New release from Carrie Rodriquez in February that sounds interesting. Info here: http://www.twangnation.com/2015/11/17/c ... bruary-19/

kev
Ultimate Member

Postby kev on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:22 pm
IP:

Smudger wrote:
kev wrote:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the album too. This track sounds a bit like early Everly Brothers.

Disappointed to see that 3 of the 11 tracks are re-recordings from previous releases.
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby kev on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:34 am
IP:

As promised (threatened?), here's Willie Nelson's first release of 2016, a collection of Gershwin songs. Due out at the end of February. Love Willie but really can't get excited about this one - if he wants to do a tribute, how about another volume of Cindy Walker songs? I think will be one to listen to before deciding whether to buy or not.

1. "But Not for Me" by Willie Nelson
2. "Somebody Loves Me" by Willie Nelson
3. "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Willie Nelson
4. "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" by Willie Nelson feat. Cyndi Lauper
5. "It Ain't Necessarily So" by Willie Nelson
6. "I Got Rhythm" by Willie Nelson
7. "Love is Here to Stay" by Willie Nelson
8. "They All Laughed" by Willie Nelson
9. "Embraceable You" by Willie Nelson feat. Sheryl Crow
10. "They Can't Take That Away from Me" by Willie Nelson
11. "Summertime" by Willie Nelson

Video clip here for "Summertime", which is pretty good!: http://www.vevo.com/watch/USSM21502502? ... country=GB
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:21 am
IP:

kev wrote:As promised (threatened?), here's Willie Nelson's first release of 2016, a collection of Gershwin songs. Due out at the end of February. Love Willie but really can't get excited about this one - if he wants to do a tribute, how about another volume of Cindy Walker songs? I think will be one to listen to before deciding whether to buy or not.

1. "But Not for Me" by Willie Nelson
2. "Somebody Loves Me" by Willie Nelson
3. "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Willie Nelson
4. "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" by Willie Nelson feat. Cyndi Lauper
5. "It Ain't Necessarily So" by Willie Nelson
6. "I Got Rhythm" by Willie Nelson
7. "Love is Here to Stay" by Willie Nelson
8. "They All Laughed" by Willie Nelson
9. "Embraceable You" by Willie Nelson feat. Sheryl Crow
10. "They Can't Take That Away from Me" by Willie Nelson
11. "Summertime" by Willie Nelson

Video clip here for "Summertime", which is pretty good!: http://www.vevo.com/watch/USSM21502502? ... country=GB

I love the old standards & Willie has drawn from that well before ('Stardust', 'Wonderful World').
However, though he has done a reasonable job I think these old standards are best done by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald (or even Tony Bennet & kd lang as on their duet album from a couple of years ago).
I am not sure Willie has the vocal grandeur to do justice to these classics.
Having said that, he has done them in his own way in the past & had enormous success with them (Stardust was one of his biggest selling albums, if you care about such things!)
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:25 am
IP:

livewirer wrote:Country music icon Hank Williams Jr. announced that his new album (37th album in his five-decade career). IT’S ABOUT TIME, will be released January 15, 2016 on Nash Icon Records. On November 4, the Superstar will world premiere his lead single, “Are You Ready for the Country” featuring Eric Church, across Cumulus stations nationwide. That evening, the pair will open the 49th Annual CMA Awards with the new collaboration - PRESS RELEASE

Impossible for me to take anything from Hank Jnr seriously after listening to a drunken concert of his full of nothing but obscenities & abuse aimed at the audience.
Seriously, I don't think he has done anything worthwhile in years. I saw him & Church perform "Are You Ready For the Country" on CMA. Not bad, but hardly groundbreaking!
I liked that song back in the Eighties when Jason & The Scorches had it out. It sounded fresh & exciting then.
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:47 am
IP:

Willie Nelson sings Gershwin - can't think of anything worse to listen to, to be honest. Except maybe Taylor Swift sings Metallica.................
Hank Williams Jr - I quite like him, seen him live twice, so I'll definitely give this album a listen.
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:46 am
IP:

Smudger wrote:Willie Nelson sings Gershwin - can't think of anything worse to listen to, to be honest. Except maybe Taylor Swift sings Metallica.................

Or maybe ANYTHING by Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Lady ArsieBellum, Sam Hunt, etc ......
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:11 pm
IP:

Smudger wrote:Hank Williams Jr - I quite like him, seen him live twice, so I'll definitely give this album a listen.

Or maybe I won't bother, having just read SCM's review................
http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/album ... bout-time/
Smudger
Supreme Member

Next

Return to Worldwide Country Music