New Stuff 2016

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is NOT specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: New Stuff 2016

Postby Moshe on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:14 am
IP:

Saw/ heard this new trio from Nashville, Applewood Road , closing up the Andrew Marr show this morning. Very nice

Steven Tyler's new album, "We're All Somebody From Somewhere", is overall pretty good. My favoutite track so far is "It Ain't easy", I couldn't find any of the really good tracks on Youtube, but much of the album sounds pretty country to me & much better than the debut single from it.
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby livewirer on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:49 am
IP:

Moshe wrote:Saw/ heard this new trio from Nashville, Applewood Road , closing up the Andrew Marr show this morning. Very nice

They played the Acoustic Stage at Glastonbury Sunday 13:35 - 14:15
They are the support for Mary Chapin Carpenter today
Sun July 17, 2016 - Barbican, London w Applewood Road
Are you going :?:

Moshe wrote:Steven Tyler's new album, "We're All Somebody From Somewhere", is overall pretty good. My favoutite track so far is "It Ain't easy", I couldn't find any of the really good tracks on Youtube, but much of the album sounds pretty country to me & much better than the debut single from it.

Another "carpet bagger" country album joining Jewel, Rucker, Lionel Richie, Sheryl Crowe, John Oates, Cyndi Lauper, Don Henley etc
Saw it has been #1 on UK Country iTunes Albums the last 2 days.
Listening to it I was surprised. It's very hit & miss (more miss for me)
iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/were- ... 1126839702

SPOTIFY - https://open.spotify.com/album/4JxAF8NoyhAhwDlW5lYDue

I've had a stream of emails from Amazon about PRIME
I think you're a subscriber? If so regarding music where "millions of tracks are available". Does this mean you can can ONLY stream from a PC & devices but not download :?:
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby Moshe on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:55 am
IP:

I livewirer, regarding Prime.
Yes, you can only listen on the PC/Laptop (though I don't know if you can listen on smartphones?). There is a lot of music on there, but mostly it does not include the latest releases. Great for back catalogues.
I am able to hear much more new stuff on Spotify, though I am glad I don't subscribe to them because they seem to keep breaking down. But am enjoying a lot of new music from them.
Of the pop/ rock artistes doing country albums of late, I very much like the Cyndi Lauper album, & some of the Steven Tyler release.

Of all the new artistes I have come across of late, my favourite is probably Margo Price. I first heard her album on Spotify & loved it so much, I bought it (download).

I have been listening to Applewood Road since hearing them on Andrew Marr. Beautiful harmonies, nice acoustic, uncluttered sound. Though different, broadly in a similar musical territory to the much missed Civil Wars. It was funny, with regard to the Civil wars, their break up & abrupt cutting short of their world tour (I was at their last ever gig!) played out at roughly the same time that Rayna James & Deacon in the TV Soap "Nashville" called off their tour due to personal issues!!
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby livewirer on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:10 pm
IP:

Moshe wrote:I livewirer, regarding Prime.
Yes, you can only listen on the PC/Laptop (though I don't know if you can listen on smartphones?). There is a lot of music on there, but mostly it does not include the latest releases. Great for back catalogues.
I am able to hear much more new stuff on Spotify, though I am glad I don't subscribe to them because they seem to keep breaking down. But am enjoying a lot of new music from them.
Of the pop/ rock artistes doing country albums of late, I very much like the Cyndi Lauper album, & some of the Steven Tyler release.

Thank you for explaining how Prime Music operates.
I've had very few problems with Spotify, although just now and again the online player can hang up.
Spotify had a deal up till last month to subscribe to Premium for 0.99 for 3 months (new users only), to renew for 3 months it was £9.99.

Moshe wrote:Of all the new artistes I have come across of late, my favourite is probably Margo Price. I first heard her album on Spotify & loved it so much, I bought it (download).

I thought you found her via Jools Holland. I've downloaded about 1/2 of the album. I think if Bob Harris has a hand in C2C Arena selection she could be the Sunday pick, like Andrew Combs was this year.

Moshe wrote:I have been listening to Applewood Road since hearing them on Andrew Marr. Beautiful harmonies, nice acoustic, uncluttered sound. Though different, broadly in a similar musical territory to the much missed Civil Wars. It was funny, with regard to the Civil wars, their break up & abrupt cutting short of their world tour (I was at their last ever gig!) played out at roughly the same time that Rayna James & Deacon in the TV Soap "Nashville" called off their tour due to personal issues!!

3 noted songwriters.
I've previously just downloaded the title cut from their Feb 2016 album
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/apple ... 1069388363

You mention Colvin & Earle in what got deleted recently. Did you pick up on it after their 6-page Country Music People feature?
It's merely OK, though got to No.1 on UK Official Country Chart(2 weeks). It debuted on Billboard Top Country albums but fell away badly in the 2nd week. I have all Shawn' Colvin's albums from 90s-2000s but nothing by Earle. I gave the album a few listens but it did nothing for me.

COUNTRY MUSIC PEOPLE
So over 1/2 the year gone, what have been your favourite albums from over the 200 albums reviewed?
Have you bought any after reading their reviews?
For over 4 months there has been NO readers letters. :o
Seen as 1/2 the magazine is filled with reviews you would think people would have something to say!

I have still loads to listen to from June/July issues in the forelorn hope that some of them might actually be good.
I don't hold out much by the reviews just use them as a guide. Maverick Magazine I gave up on ages ago as reviews seem planted and biased.
I've suggested to one CMP reviewer that they ought to describe the product they are reviewing to be more informative:
EG is is Jewel Case, Digipac, thin cardboard sleeve, does it come with lyrics or is it a download they are reviewing.
They seem to review more what's sent in hoping for freebies.
The buzz is lost on Brandy Clark's album with still no sign of a review but one will appear in August issue. Why don't they review immediately the music is released?

Also I don't think the reviewers do their homework. One said the music hasn't danced down the aisle of the charts. If they had looked at the magazine charts they would have seen the artist in question was #1 in Europe for 8 weeks and currently No.2 with second single with videos show on Sky/Freesat/Freeview.

Too many 5 STARS awarded thrown like confetti. If Thorne Hill, Raintown, Honey Ryder, Marie Osmond, Cyndi Lauper get 5 STARS in CMP what will say Brandy Clark's get when it appears. They can't all be of the same standard?
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby Moshe on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 am
IP:

I first heard Margo Price on Bob Harris when he played "Hands of Time". I checked out her album on Spotify & then bought it. Superb.

I have never been a big fan of Steve Earle, but I love the new Colvin Earle duet album.

I don't subscribe to either of the country music magazines any more though, oddly, after a long lapse, the June/July "Maverick" recently popped through my door. I thought the subscription had long lapsed.
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby kev on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:26 am
IP:

livewirer wrote:So over 1/2 the year gone, what have been your favourite albums from over the 200 albums reviewed?

I really like the recent Landon Dodd album, probably my favourite release of the year. And as I mentioned further back in this thread, I was really impressed by the album from Paul Schlesinger and the Knights of Western Swing that was reviewed this month. It features some great playing but I think some listeners might be put off my Schlesinger's vocals!

livewirer wrote:Too many 5 STARS awarded thrown like confetti. If Thorne Hill, Raintown, Honey Ryder, Marie Osmond, Cyndi Lauper get 5 STARS in CMP what will say Brandy Clark's get when it appears. They can't all be of the same standard?

Don't forget, they're only one person's opinion - you know, one man's meat, blah blah!
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:37 pm
IP:

Mark Chesnutt's new album "Tradition Lives" is a cracker. I'm a big fan of his and this one doesn't disappoint - full of great country songs like he used to do in the 90s. Here's one of them:
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby livewirer on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20 pm
IP:

Smudger wrote:Mark Chesnutt's new album "Tradition Lives" is a cracker. I'm a big fan of his and this one doesn't disappoint - full of great country songs like he used to do in the 90s. Here's one of them:

Yes it's solid country
His album has charted at #22 on Billboard Top Country Albums selling around 2,000 copies preorder / debut week

See these 2 BLOG POSTS about Chesnutts album
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:16 am
IP:

Have a few new albums i need to listen to but not had the time, I bought a load of older CD's and they have been getting played more, 3 Dwight Yoakum CD's, a Tracey Lawrence CD, George Strait, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt as well as a Highwaymen double disc. So the Earle Colvin album and the Brandy Clarke album have gone unplayed. Need to get on top of things.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD
Supreme Member

Postby Smudger on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:23 pm
IP:

PeterJD wrote:I bought a load of older CD's and they have been getting played more, 3 Dwight Yoakum CD's, a Tracey Lawrence CD, George Strait, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt as well as a Highwaymen double disc.

On that subject, I realised I didn't have anything by Ricky Van Shelton so got his Greatest Hits album - some really good country ballads on there, but I like this one from CMT Europe days:
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 am
IP:

This morning I listened to Brandy Clark's (too many clarke/clarks in country music, will consistently give her an extra e) latest album and promptly listened to it twice. Very much taken with it, although I enjoyed 12 stories didnt feel the huge love that was universally shown to it, this, for me at least is far stronger and more with my taste.
PeterJD
Supreme Member

Postby Moshe on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:53 am
IP:

Hi Peter.
I agree that "Big Day" is a superb album. I loved her debut, but this one has a fuller sound & probably stands more repeated listening.
Since Musgrave & Clarke are associated with each other, I (perhaps unfairly) , compared their second albums to each other.
With Kacey, though I like "Pageant Material", I think it is a weaker album than her "Trailer" debut, & I was slightly disappointed with "Pageant Material", but with Brandy Clarke's "Big Day In A Small Town" I feel it exceeds expectations & is a step forward.
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:17 pm
IP:

Agree Moshe, excellent songwriting, lyrics in particular.
PeterJD
Supreme Member

Postby Smudger on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:13 pm
IP:

PeterJD wrote:Agree Moshe, excellent songwriting, lyrics in particular.

I also agree that the lyrics are excellent (as expected) but I just don't like the backing and production - I think the songs are spoiled by too much going on in the background (but that's just my humble opinion.................)
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby livewirer on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:31 pm
IP:

Moshe wrote:Steven Tyler's new album, "We're All Somebody From Somewhere", is overall pretty good. My favoutite track so far is "It Ain't easy", I couldn't find any of the really good tracks on Youtube, but much of the album sounds pretty country to me & much better than the debut single from it.

Wonder if BBC Radio 2 have been looking at Moshe's post. They have made this their ALBUM of the Week. I can't get into it yet. It's tagged as country on iTunes but the UK Official Chart Company have not included it in the Country chart where Ward Thomas are #1 with their last album FROM WHERE WE STAND (78 weeks on the chart). The Aerosmith front man made a debut at No.67 on the Top 100 (1,400 sales).

RE: BRANDY CLARK
Smudger wrote:
PeterJD wrote:Agree Moshe, excellent songwriting, lyrics in particular.

I also agree that the lyrics are excellent (as expected) but I just don't like the backing and production - I think the songs are spoiled by too much going on in the background (but that's just my humble opinion.................)

I'm with you Smudger. I bought 12 STORIES CD the day it was released but haven't bought the new one yet. It will be reviewed in Country Music People finally in August. The physical copy is a cardboard sleeve with a fold out sheet with lyrics. The reviewer had to buy it as wasn't sent. The UK promotion for it hasn't been that great and has fallen away regarding UK sales. Radio DJs don't seem to buy music unless it is sent or they request tracks to play. I notice in American (where it is now #36 Country albums) that its second week sales were about the same as 12 STORIES despite her being with Warner Bros. When she went on tour with Eric Church and Jennifer Nettles 2 years ago it seemed to give her album a big push.
livewirer
Supreme Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music