New Stuff 2018

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: New Stuff 2018

Postby kev » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 am

New Tom Russell album next month:

New Tom Russell Anthology CD Release! OLD SONGS YET TO SING - 20 newly recorded Tom Russell classics with Andrew Hardin on lead guitar and harmony vocal. Available from http://www.fronterarecords.com Official Street Date is May 4 but TR fans can order now and they'll go out first

Tom and Andrew went into Congress House Studio in Austin - Tom wanted to re-visit the old "classics" - get them on Frontera - and summon up the original sound. Tom also thinks he can sing them better now. John Yuelkenbeck did a great job on graphics and mastering.

Tracks: Alkali, Cropduster, St. Olav's Gate, Gallo del Cielo, Manzanar, The Sky Above the Mud Below, Walkin' on the Moon, The Rose of the San Joaquin, Haley's Comet, Canadian Whiskey, Throwing Horseshoes on the Moon, Blue Wing, California Snow, Navajo Rug,Tonight We Ride, Beyond the Blues, Angel of Lyon, Veteran's Day, U.S. Steel, and a special version of the song Tom wrote with Bobby Neuwirth, Bob Dylan's cohort - "The Biggest Bordertown in the World."

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:56 am

Oops! Looks like Duncan Warwick doesn't like it! :lol:

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:27 am

kev wrote:Oops! Looks like Duncan Warwick doesn't like it! :lol:

Blimey! I couldn't tell if he likes it or not, but one star seems quite low!
I was rather underwhelmed by the album, but love the single "Guilty"- & I'm older than ten! :wink: You may not consider the track country, but it is certainly preferable, in my book, to the whiney pale hip hop that FGL et al are selling as "country".
I am hoping the new singles "Babe" and "Cry Pretty" will shake up country radio a bit as they are the biggest singles & at least sideline the inane FGL and its like from country radio domination.
To me "Guilty" is aiming to be in the same ballpark as "Babe"- but they havn't got Swifty on the track, so they'll be paddling behind for a while.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 am

Really like these guys. Nashville songwriters Jon Vezner & Don Henry, collectively known as The DonJuans. Their album, from which this comes, is pretty cool
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 am

Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Moshe wrote:Blimey! I couldn't tell if he likes it or not, but one star seems quite low!
I was rather underwhelmed by the album, but love the single "Guilty"- & I'm older than ten! :wink: You may not consider the track country, but it is certainly preferable, in my book, to the whiney pale hip hop that FGL et al are selling as "country".
I am hoping the new singles "Babe" and "Cry Pretty" will shake up country radio a bit as they are the biggest singles & at least sideline the inane FGL and its like from country radio domination.
To me "Guilty" is aiming to be in the same ballpark as "Babe"- but they havn't got Swifty on the track, so they'll be paddling behind for a while.

I haven't heard it, and I don't want to hear it - not my thing, and I might have guessed it wouldn't be Duncan's either. To be honest, he probably should have given it to someone else to review, someone with a less strong opinion on the pop country business.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 am

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:Blimey! I couldn't tell if he likes it or not, but one star seems quite low!

I haven't heard it, and I don't want to hear it - not my thing, and I might have guessed it wouldn't be Duncan's either. To be honest, he probably should have given it to someone else to review, someone with a less strong opinion on the pop country business.

Probably, though as someone not averse to pop country, I also found the album rather bland and boring, & even too far removed from country for me. I did like the Shires first album. I thought "Nashville Grey Skies" was a clever attempt at creating an authentically British version of country music.
I saw The Shires in concert at the first C2C & enjoyed their performance, especially the "raise your glasses in the air" bit!- but would never bother to actually pay to see them in concert. the same is true for Ward Thomas. i think Ward thomas have been more consistent so far, & stayed closer to country, but I am still waitung for a really interesting album from them.
The Wandering Hearts are not bad, but their album is inconsistent.
Still, encouraging that British country artistes are writting their own stuff.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 am

Moshe wrote: I also found the album rather bland and boring, & even too far removed from country for me. I did like the Shires first album. I thought "Nashville Grey Skies" was a clever attempt at creating an authentically British version of country music.
I saw The Shires in concert at the first C2C & enjoyed their performance, especially the "raise your glasses in the air" bit!- but would never bother to actually pay to see them in concert. the same is true for Ward Thomas.

Oh so the "raise your glasses in the air" is a regular thing each year for you at C2C. Saw you hold up glass of red wine to American Young at The Big Entrance Stage. Read 2 weeks ago The Shires have sold out The Royal Albert Hall. Going on last years concerts (which didn't feel like a country show but enjoyable) I think many will be general music fans who don't consider themselves as supporters of "country" music. I doubt very much it will be mostly teenagers there.

kev wrote:I haven't heard it, and I don't want to hear it - not my thing, and I might have guessed it wouldn't be Duncan's either. To be honest, he probably should have given it to someone else to review, someone with a less strong opinion on the pop country business.

Yes a agree he could of passed it to another reviewer like Chris Smith (responsible for 5 STAR reviews for Raintown, Thorne Hill, Honey Ryder and possibly Hannah Johnson among the Brits). He only plays traditional / Ameripolitan on his Uckfield FM show, so will have lost anybody preferring to hear a more modern sound.

As the editor of CMP Duncan wanted to make a statement so its more of an opinion piece/ rant than a song by song review.
Along with the 1 STAR review attached ‏Duncan tweeted: Nearing 50 years of publication, Country Music People is the authority on country music in the UK and can we please stop calling The Shires country. @SamiraAhmedUK @BBCRadio4 @BBCFrontRow @bobharriscountry #stopthisnonsensenow #threechordsandalie

This has both received support but mostly come underfire which has spilled over to several heated Facebook conversations.
Reviewer James Daykin (@rockjames | Lyric magazine/ Maverick/ Your Life In A Song) shared the review to Facebook Groups and tweeted: That’s an absolutely disgraceful, snarky, dark-hearted review from a troll in a cave. I’m surprised anyone who ‘supports’ music in this country would allow this to be published. @CMPcountry - you should be ashamed.
Here’s a much better review: http://www.lyricmagazine.co.uk/lyricrev ... n-purpose/
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby Moshe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:38 am

CRoutes, "raising your glasses in the air" is what you do at a country gig. Unless you are american, in which case you spill your drink all over the person in front of you, (going by the American lasses at the last ever wembley country bash. I think it was Lonestar or something got them really excited. Spilled their drinks all over me, apologised profusely, then did it again a few minutes later. It is part of the country music experience.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:41 pm

Moshe wrote: I think it was Lonestar or something got them really excited.

Somehow I cannot imagine that no matter how hard I try!! :lol:
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:20 pm

kev wrote:

I think it was lonestar. One of those country boy bands. Each time they started a song they liked, the lasses were up & yelling, sharing drinks over everyone!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Moshe wrote:
kev wrote:

I think it was lonestar. One of those country boy bands. Each time they started a song they liked, the lasses were up & yelling, sharing drinks over everyone!

I used to like Lonestar!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby CRoutes » Thu May 03, 2018 8:01 am

Moshe wrote:CRoutes, "raising your glasses in the air" is what you do at a country gig. Unless you are american, in which case you spill your drink all over the person in front of you, (going by the American lasses at the last ever wembley country bash. I think it was Lonestar or something got them really excited. Spilled their drinks all over me, apologised profusely, then did it again a few minutes later. It is part of the country music experience.

It's something I've never done, though there is a drinking culture associated with country. This shoey thing seems to be taking off with male artists drinking out of a boot on stage. One of the Shires songs was inspired by a drinking game at a Nashville party.
There were several to be seen at C2C this year staggering around and bumping into people.
I wonder just how many glasses of wine / pints of beer it takes to like some of today's country stars.
For personal reasons I haven't drunk any alcohol for 10 years.

Moshe wrote:I am hoping the new singles "Babe" and "Cry Pretty" will shake up country radio a bit as they are the biggest singles & at least sideline the inane FGL and its like from country radio domination.

Sugarland Featuring Taylor Swift with "Babe" has topped Country Digital Song Sales this week (38,000 downloads)

Early indications for Carrie Underwood's single "Cry Pretty" is that it won't be as big as "Meant To Be" the 21-week Hot Country Songs No1 and Country Airplay No1 by Bebe Rexha's & FGL's "Meant To Be" or Sam Hunt's "Body Like A Back Road".
Carrie Underwood climbed up on Country Airplay but fell 1-24 on all-genre Digital Song Sales and 1-6 on Country Digital Songs selling 15K copies this week.
It will probably need a stunning video to raise its profile and streaming points. It wouldn't surprise me if Carrie's new label (UMG) use the same trick as Jason Aldean, Tim & Faith, Shania and Kenny Chesney to land a Billboard No1 using a album tour ticket redemption offer (the album offer is included in purchase of a tour ticket sale). Despite this trend country album sales continue to be poor especially with Digital track sales which are truly terrible so far in 2018. Wouldn't surprise me within a year iTunes shut up their download sales shop.

No matter how you try and explain how The Shire's justify themselves as COUNTRY (in their words) Duncan Warwick and some trad radio presenters will never accept it. If do you you get response like "they obviously have no idea what country is either". Some other reviewers and artists have come to Duncan Warwick's defense whilst one radio presenter has said he will banish those artists who are responsible for posts about the Shires not being country.
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby kev » Fri May 04, 2018 7:34 am

After all the Shires fuss, how about this for a more traditional sound? New release from Steel Horse Swing - not earth shattering but well played and the guy's got a great voice!

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Fri May 04, 2018 7:38 am

Here's an interesting one, Doc Watkins and "Jazz, Tx". Not really a new release, it came out before Christmas, and not really country, but I've enjoyed it immensely ... and even got my review published in Western Swing Monthly (did you know such a thing existed?? :lol: ). Jolly Ole England??!! :lol:

kev

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music