Attitudes of instructors

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Attitudes of instructors

Postby LittleGPX » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 am

I only started line dancing about 2 years ago, i wanted to learn the dances they did at Festivals so i could join in with them.
I found a few classes local and started to going to three of four different ones a week.
I am so amazed and now becoming annoyed at the attitudes that the instructors have for each other, who's playing what, who's teaching what etc..it's like been back at school and it's quite frankly putting me off going to some.
I go to one in particular who has started doing quite a lot of non-country songs, some of which the dances dont fit to anyway, so i sit these songs out...he now delights in embarrassing me in front of everybody by saying ...oooh she'll only dance to country! or she doesnt like the music.
Isnt it my perogative whether i dance to certain music or not? The other week i got up for the first two dances then spent the rest of the night sat down because i had "womens problems" so again for every dance he put on he was moaning that i wasnt dancing and blaming it on the music.
He once asked me what dances would i like to learn? We had just started doing 'hanging out in florida' at another one i go to, so i took him the stepsheet and music for it, he put it on and most of the other women sat down and didnt want to do it! but he never said a thing to them.

Line dancing is becoming so 'us and them' lately and it's no wonder that newcomers dont stay around for long.

Some classes wont do what other classes do and want to claim ownership over a certain dance.

I'm organising a line dance day out to Fort San Antone this month and people from all classes i go to are coming on it together but are the instructors too?.....guess what...only one is!
There aint no rehearsal on the stage of life!
LittleGPX

Postby nickyjo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:51 am

I've had much the same feelings for some time now and been put off dancing quite a bit (that and poorly heels)
I choose to sit out dances if I don't like music too but if any instructer is worth their salt, when they think you know the dacne they should be playing diff music anyway to get dacners used to dacning to differnt tunes as you would with a live band...this leads to the them and us thing of - one dance to one song.
nickyjo

Supreme Member

Postby Boss Lady » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:14 pm

I've been teaching for about 13/14 years now and I would never put anyone down. Unfortunately there are some folks out there who think they are better than others. I believe that it's not how you dance it's whether or not you enjoy it!

There are a lot of clubs out there that seem to be in competition with each other, what a load of twaddle. It's a bit of fun which enables you to keep fit and make new friends that's all!

I know how you feel about pop music, my first love is Country but as folks pay to be taught I have to accommodate their wishes. I've also had comments like that because of my love for Country music and indeed was actually asked by a teacher what Country Music had to do with Line Dancing ?????????? No comment there but she was so full of herself I didn't even bother answering her.

There will always be folks like that. I'm no better than anyone I teach or have taught in the past. I just have the ability to read dance scripts and be able to talk steps while dancing...I reckon there are loads out there who could teach themselves if they tried.

Don't let them get to you girl....get out there and enjoy your dancing, they ain't worth losing sleep over !!!!!
WHY IT'S JUST L'IL OLE ME !
Boss Lady

Postby LittleGPX » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Oh i dont let them get to me! I too can read scripts ok so i just look on the internet for the ones i want to do and do them myself at home! It'll be their loss not mine!
LittleGPX

Postby Marshal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi GPX - Don't let them get to you - just go out and enjoy yourself doing the stuff you want to do. I know what you mean about some modern line dancers not wanting to dance to Country Music - they seem to forget that's where it all started, but OK if they want to hop and dash around the floor to calypsos and stuff, let them get on with I say BUT it does irritate me when certain folk complain about westerners being at the same venues as the dancers. Someone said to me this weekend that they just laugh at the westerners 'cos they think it's funny seeing folk dressed up - I didn't react to this but what the heck - if they could only see themselves dashing around the floor like a load of school kids at playtime. I have lots of friends who enjoy the dancing and I don't blame the instructors for one minute for giving the public what they want - but If I were you I'd find another dance instructor who's there for everyone and doesn't criticise the western stuff. There are lots of good dance teachers about if you ask around I'm sure you'll find one - don't give up....

See Ya around.

Marshal
Last edited by Marshal on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God made all men........ Samuel Colt made them equal.
Marshal

Postby Marshal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Just had another thought Trina - would it be worth you asking Samandance where they do their classes ?- you know them well enough and they always welcome everyone to their events - they always throw in a good selection of country stuff as well as the modern requested dances.
Marshal

Postby LittleGPX » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Karen who was doing the dj'ing with Nigel at the charity event said they have a session on a Thursday night in the drax clubhouse so might pop along there sometime.

Also i've heard about a dance class in Sherburn and the instructor there teaches country as a majority so might try that one too.

Oh, by the way - This years Sherburn in Elmet Gala on 16th May is Country and Western themed and our dance teacher (one of the good ones) has been asked to get a few people up on stage and do a linedance demo for an hour - guess who's volunteered! ;)
LittleGPX

Postby Marshal » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:50 am

I'm sure you'll soon get sorted out - Drax isn't too far away for you is it? I know about the Sherburn event 'cos the Trailblazers re-enactment group are putting on a show there - but I won't be taking part 'cos my daughter from South Africa will be here by then - we are heavilly into making plans and organising my other daughters (Jackie) wedding on the week before. Caroline is then staying with us for a week then I might have to go down to Manchester and stay overnight to get her on a flight back home - nothing has been firmed up yet and there's a poosibility that her half brother will take her to the airport - but I thought it was better to tell the group I could not go rather than say I was going then having to let them down. I can always turn up last minute so to speak and join in if they want me to (If all that makes sense) I'm sure you'll do a good demo in the stage - I'll watch for your photo in the local papers.... In anycase I'm hoping to be back from Manchester (if I have to go) for the Sat night -It's Nancy Ann Lee at Osgodby. - might see you there if your not too tired after all the demos etc.... :lol:
Marshal

Re: Attitudes of instructors

Postby PeterJD » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:37 am

I am new to line dancing, only been going a couple of months and my instructor is fantastic, as are the ladies and gents I dance with in Stafford. I appreciate that for them the likes of Mamma Maria, Cherokee Stomp, California Freeze, One step Forward etc are very easy but no one seems to complain and when I sit out my instructor doesnt berate me at all. We have about a 70/30 split with country and non country and I dont mind that split.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Boss Lady » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:50 am

Marshall
I agree re Line Dancers taking the mickey out of Westerners (not all of them may I add) but it's also visa versa. I've seen a Country & Western night advertised and then found out no line dancing is allowed.

Again ( and I repeat this so many times) I am first and foremost a Westerner, I love everything about the Old West and I have huge respect for fellow westerners and yet I'm castigated for being Line Dancer too! Who says I can't be both??? I've been laughed at at Festivals for being 'dressed', I just smile sweetly at them. But I've also been at a C&W Club and have almost been knocked over by a disgruntled Westerner charging across the floor mid dance!

I reckon it's about time everyone grew up!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with folks enjoying Country Music both listening and dancing?????
WHY IT'S JUST L'IL OLE ME !
Boss Lady

Postby Marshal » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Boss Lady - Well, I'd go along with all you say, - there's no reason why everyone can't mix. I too have been to country music events dressed a bit more modern than my usual reenacting stuff - I think it's only a twisted few that need to try and upset anyone who is not following their line of thinking. As I say, I have friends who take part in all sorts of western events and they just go there to enjoy themselves - surely this is what it's all about eh?

Hope you're having a good year,

Regards,

Marshal
Marshal

Return to Linedance and Western Dance section